Recreation This Week!
ALL RECREATION - ALL THE TIME!
Recreation This Week! is a weekly e-newsletter compiled by the Recreation Department for the community of Mammoth Lakes. In it you will find a weekly sampling of our boundless recreational opportunities in one of the world's most spectacular playgrounds.
Whether you're looking for family fun, learning new things, challenging your endurance or simply rejuvenating the soul, we hope you'll take advantage of what awaits you in Mammoth Lakes.
Recreation This Week - February 22, 2018
No more snow dances needed, winter is here! Cozy up by the fire this week join in one of the many recreation opportunities available to you in or around Mammoth Lakes including the last week at the Mammoth Ice Rink!
- Get some time in at the Mammoth Ice Rink before it is too late! We have a variety of closing week promotions including our celebration of the 11th Annual Hockey Weekend Across America Friday, March 2 through Sunday, March 4th. Promotions include:
- Mammoth Mountain Ski Area Employee Night on Tuesday, February 27 from 7:30-10:00 p.m. Just $5 with an Employee I.D.
- Our last “Learn to Curl” clinic is Thursday, March 1 from 4:15-6:15 p.m., and is $5 per person.
- On Friday, March 2 join our FREE “Learn to Play Hockey” clinic for adults and youths from 5:30 until 7:30 p.m., followed by our FREE Friday Night Skate Session from 7:45 until 10:00 p.m.
- On Saturday, support your local hockey heroes with the Mammoth Stars Youth Exhibition Hockey game at 6:00 p.m.
- Lastly, on Sunday, March 4, closing day, wear your favorite hockey jersey and enjoy FREE admission!
- Ongoing programs this week include Instructional Basketball on Thursday evenings at the Mammoth Middle School Gym, Adult Indoor Soccer on Sunday evenings at the Mammoth High School Gym, and Adult Coed Volleyball League on Wednesday evenings at the Mammoth Middle School Gym. Competition in both adult leagues is heating up so check out a game this week!
- Toddler Time meets on Tuesdays from 9:30-11:00 AM. Each 4-week session is $48 with a 50% sibling discount. Drop-in rates are available.
- Sierra Mountain Guides continues to offer Backcountry Touring Program on Wednesdays through April 18. Rates are available with or without equipment provided.
- Peapod Playgroups continue in Mammoth in Spanish on Wednesdays from 1:00-2:00 p.m. and on Thursdays in English from 10:00 to 11:00 a.m. and in Crowley Lake on Fridays from 10:30 to 11:30. Sessions meet at the community center and all families with children birth through age five are welcome!
- Lastly, Sierra Mountain Guides will be hosting an Avalanche education class on Saturday, March 10 at the Mammoth Lakes Community Center beginning at 5:45 p.m. Begin your lifelong education of avalanches! All ages are welcome. Advanced registration is required and is just $10. Sign up today!
- Meet Mammoth Mountain’s Patrol Dogs and handlers on Thursday, February 22 at McCoy Sports in the Village. Learn about how these pups and their handlers play a huge part in on-mountain safety. The presentation will run from 5:30-6:30 p.m. and the first 30 kids will receive a free Ski Patrol t-shirt while supplies last.
- Winter Adventure Series continues this evening; Thursday, February 22, doors open at 6:00 p.m. with the presentation starting at 7:00 p.m., at the Mammoth Lakes Welcome Center. This week’s presentation will be by professional adventure skier Brody Leven.
- Watch a screening of Dirtbag: The Legend of Fred Beckey on Saturday, February 24 at 6:00 or 8:00 p.m. at Edison Theatre. Beckey was a rebel athlete who inspired generations of mountaineers with his monumental first accents and fearless lifestyle. Sure to give you some inspiration and a few laughs, don’t miss the screening of this documentary film.
- Wooly’s Birthday Party and Parade is Saturday, February 24, 3:45 until 4:45 p.m. in the Village. Come join Wooly and friends celebrate his birthday with face painting, parade, Happy Birthday song, and cupcakes! Party attire encouraged. (Please note the date correction.)
- Join Friends of the Inyo at their Chocolate Mountain Outing on Saturday, February 24. This is a four-mile round trip hike with 1,400 ft of vertical gain. Participants should be in good physical shape and bring their own food and water. Hike begins at 9:30 a.m. Click on the link for more info and to RSVP.
- Take a full moon cross-country ski tour at Tamarack on Tuesday, February 27 or Wednesday, February 28. This is a 1.5 hour guided tour followed by dessert and hot drinks by the fireplace upon return.
- June Lake Winter Festival - March 2 through March 3
- Playhouse 395 presents Into The Woods – March 2 through March 17
- Early Opener Trout Derby – March 3
- Mule Deer Migration Corridor Field Trip – March 3
- Owen’s Valley Radio Observatory Tour – March 5
- Tahoe Adventure Film Festival – March 10
- U.S. Revolution Tour – March 11 through March 16
- Kindergarten Round-Up - March 14
- Recreation Open House – March 27
- Owens Lake Bird Festival – April 27-29
Have a great weekend!
Subscribe to Recreation This Week or contact Lauren Plum at or (760) 965-3699. This is an opt-in e-newsletter and will not be sold or used for any other purpose.
Access the Recreation This Week Archive to catch up on all the news, events or programs that you missed!