Recreation This Week!
ALL RECREATION - ALL THE TIME!
Recreation This Week! is a weekly e-newsletter compiled by the Recreation Department for the community of Mammoth Lakes. In it you will find a weekly sampling of our boundless recreational opportunities in one of the world's most spectacular playgrounds.
Whether you're looking for family fun, learning new things, challenging your endurance or simply rejuvenating the soul, we hope you'll take advantage of what awaits you in Mammoth Lakes.
Recreation This Week - July 18, 2019
National Parks and Rec Month is in full swing! Celebrate with free skating the last two Fridays in July at the Mammoth RecZone and free swimming July 21st and 28th at the Whitmore Pool! We are also hosting a variety of other activities including our Mammoth Softball Tournaments, our annual Beach Volleyball Tournament and the Kids Fishing Festival. Check out the full schedule of events and celebrate with us!
We are wrapping up our third week of Climbing and Wave Rave Skate Camp this week and move on to our Wilderness Camp II, Aquatics I, and Mountain Bike II camps next week. We have been working diligently on our waitlists for these camps and have been able to enroll 100+ kids into various camps since May!
Mammoth Softball Tournaments
This weekend (7/20-21) at Shady Rest will be the Coed Mammoth Softball Tournament. Come watch the games unfold and grab a snack from the Snack Shack and support your local youth Explorers group! Last weekend the Men’s Tournament concluded with Team Blackout from Yucaipa taking home first place.
Drop-In Adult Tennis Clinics are scheduled every Tuesday from 3:30 to 5:30pm at the Community Tennis Courts on Forest Trail. Join our tennis pro, Kyle Osland, for these weekly group sessions for intermediate players 16 years and older. Drop-in Fee is only $10 per session. Punch cards available for purchase at the Town Offices (credit card, cash or check) or at the Community Tennis Courts (cash or check) prior to clinics.
Come down to the community courts for our Sunday Socials every Sunday from 9:00 am to 12:00 pm. Meet other tennis enthusiasts and get some matches going this Sunday!
Coed Beach Volleyball Tournament
Brush up on those volleyball skills and reach for local glory at the 3rd Annual 4v4 Coed Beach Volleyball Tournament taking place at Shady Rest Park Sand Volleyball Courts on Saturday, July 27, 2019 from 9:00 am to 3:00 pm. $40 per team to register (includes a $25 donation to Mammoth Club Volleyball). To register, and for further information, please contact Kat Kelly at firstname.lastname@example.org or on (760) 965-3697.
Kids’s Fishing Festival
Saturday July 27th is a 32nd annual Kids Fishing Festival. Get hooked on fishing at this free for kids under 14 event near the ponds at Snowcreek. Learn more about the fish of this area, fishing in general then try your hand at catching a trophy trout under expert guidance from our local fishing guides. A lot to see, learn and discover at this fun family event on Saturday, July 27 from 8am to 1pm so mark your calendars now!
Softball League Scores and Standings
Men’s and Coed Softball league are continuing strong. Check out a full schedule of games along with scores and standings here. Men’s league plays every Monday and Wednesday and the Coed League plays every Tuesday and Thursday excluding byes. Please note there is a Coed league bye on Thursday August 1st in observation of our unofficial town holiday of Bluesapalooza.
- Get to The Village for the Mammoth Reggae Festival this weekend, July 19-21. Enjoy three days of live music at this fun, all-ages, and free event!
- Help Friends of the Inyo, Rock Creek Lakes Resort and Tangle Free Waters at the Rock Creek Lakes Cleanup this Saturday, July 20 from 8:30 to noon. Come prepared with lunch, water, sunscreen, long sleeves, pants and closed toe shoes along with an A+ attitude while volunteering your time to ensure recreation in this area for generations to come! Meet at Rock Creek Lakes Resort at 8:30 am for assignments.
- Join the Sierra Club for a moderate hike to Duck Pass on Sunday July 21. This hike includes 1680’ of gain over four miles to arrive at Duck Pass. Possible adjustments may be made due to snowpack. Interested parties should meet at 9am at the Mammoth Lakes Union Bank parking lot to carpool to the trail head. Get out with your fellow hiking enthusiasts this weekend!
- Get in on the first Tug O Run event in Mammoth this Tuesday, July 23. This free fun run pits two teams running the same course in opposite directions against one another. Sprint, walk, jog, crawl your way through the course as your team pulls their way to victory then enjoy a BBQ, raffle prizes and hang with the Mammoth Lakes Track Club. Registration starts at 5:00 p.m. at Shady Rest Park. Try it out today! All levels welcome!
- Support Volunteer Eastern Sierra at Not Your Grandma’s Bingo on Tuesday, July 23 from 6:00 to 8:00 pm at The Warming Hut. This is a family friendly event providing laughs, prizes, raffles and lots of fun!
- Hayden Cabin’s Brown Bag Lunch Series continues on Thursday, July 25 from noon to 1:00pm. Enjoy a free presentation and learn more about your local history!
- Get in on some biking with Mammoth Moutain! The VC XC Series continues on July 25 at the bike park. The VC Downhill Mountain Bike Race Series on the mountain continues on July 26 with Pipeline. Each race entry is free plus an awards ceremony and after party. Pedal pass or day pass required for races held on Mammoth Mountain. New this year is Ladies Day on Thursdays. Meet fellow female mountain bikers and work on different technical skills each Thursday. July 25 these ladies will be working on technical climbing and switchbacks. Fun times!
- Nike Mammoth Lakes Fun Run – July 27
- Sierra Cycle Challenge. - July 27
- Mammoth Villagefest – July 26-28
- Mammoth Lakes Firefighter Foundation Picnic – July 28
- Mammoth Lakes Rattlesnake Avoidance Training for Dogs – July 28
- Bluesapalooza – August 1-4
- Trail Days – August 3
- Margarita Festival – August 9-10
- Campfire Program at Shady Rest – August 10
- Sierra National Forest Stewardship Project – August 7-11
- Mammoth Wine Weekend – August 15-18
- Minaret Cinema’s Movie Theatre
- CSA 1 Summer Classes
- Mammoth Lakes Library Calendar
- Sierra Wellness Center Calendar
- Chamber of Commerce Events
- 2019 Summer Train Ride Schedule at Laws Museum
- Historic Benton Hot Springs 2019 Events
- Mono Basin Summer Seminars
- Free Concerts in Bishop Park
Enjoy your weekend!
* * * * * * *
This complimentary message is being sent to opt-in subscribers who might be interested in its content. If you do not wish to continue receiving these messages, please accept our apologies, and unsubscribe by visiting our website at:
Please note, we will not sell or give your e-mail address to any organization without your explicit permission.
Subscribe to Recreation This Week or contact Lauren Plum at or (760) 965-3699. This is an opt-in e-newsletter and will not be sold or used for any other purpose.
Access the Recreation This Week Archive to catch up on all the news, events or programs that you missed!