Shady Rest 18-Hole Disc Golf Course
Shady Rest Disc Golf Park Update
Installation of 18 tee-pads and 19 baskets (one per hole and one practice basket) has been completed. Signage for the course is currently under review by the USFS and will be installed upon approval or next spring depending on weather. The ribbon cutting ceremony is TBD. Installation of an additional 18 recreational tee-pads as well as a second basket location for each hole will begin next spring.
The course is now OPEN for play, however we are still waiting on signage to arrive. Playing tip: In bottom of each basket is an arrow pointing in the direction of the next tee.
Thank you to our Park Maintenance staff, Mammoth Lakes Trail System Trail Crew and volunteers from Mammoth Disc Golf Club for getting this course installed.
On September 13, 2019, the Town received a confirmation letter and Decision Memo from the USFS approving the construction of the Shady Rest Disc Golf Park (attached) as per the supplied course map (attached). To facilitate the construction of the 18-hole course, staff have completed the following tasks:
- Coordinated with Avery Jenkins from DiscGolfPark to order the course equipment. Items include:
- 19 baskets, 18 Pro Turf tee pads, 18 custom tee signs, 1 Information board and 18 additional basket sleeves for the ‘B’ locations.
- Coordinated with Mammoth Lakes Recreation on the “Adopt a Hole” program and donated funds from the Mammoth Lakes Disc Golf Club.
- Drafted a preliminary course installation schedule. Once finalized, Town staff will inform the USFS on the installation methods and schedule. The proposed plan is as follows:
- Mid-October (will confirm pending arrival of equipment)
- Install 19 baskets (3 days) – 4 Town staff & 2 – 4 volunteers each day
- Install 18 teed pads (3 days) - 4 Town staff & 2 – 4 volunteers each day
- Install 18 tee signs and information board (3 days) - 4 Town staff & 2 – 4 volunteers each day
- Coordinated with Public Works/Engineering and Parks Maintenance staff on the installation methods, equipment, required staff and mitigation methods.
A budget update is provided below: