In 2015, the Town Council discussed the Mammoth Creek Park West New Community Multi Use Facilities and received a number of comments from interested parties. Comments were received regarding the location of the facility, the types of amenities the facility should provide, the future of the existing playground and turf area, and restrooms. To review the public comments previously received on this project please click here.
On October 21, 2015 the Town Council directed staff to move forward with a multi-use facility at Mammoth Creek Park West. On January 6, 2016 Town Council authorized a consulting agreement with Michael Baker International for the preparation of the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) review for the Community Multi-Use Facilities at Mammoth Creek Park West.
Environmental Impact Report
Pursuant to CEQA Guidelines Section 15082, following the preliminary review of a project, a Notice of Preparation shall be prepared to provide notice to interested parties, organizations and individuals of the preparation of an EIR and to request comments on the scope and contents of the environmental document. The public review period for the Initial Study began on June 2, 2016 and ended on July 1, 2016. The comments were used to assist the Town with the preparation of the Draft EIR. The Draft EIR, once published, will have a 45-day public review period.
The next steps included reviewing any scoping comments received and adjusting the scope for the Draft EIR, if necessary. Staff worked closely with the consultant on the preparation of the Draft EIR. The steps in the process and estimates of timeline for the Project are as follows:
- Notice of Preparation/Scoping public review period (June 2 – July 1, 2016)
- Preparation of the Draft EIR (July – December 2016)
- Public Review of Draft EIR (December 29, 2016 – February 13, 2017)
- Preparation of Final EIR (February/March 2017)
- Public Meeting and EIR certification recommendation to Town Council by Planning and Economic Development Commission (May 10, 2017)
- Public Meeting and EIR certification by Town Council (May 17, 2017)
Comments on the scope of the EIR may be submitted to Sandra Moberly, Community & Economic Development Manager via US Mail at PO Box 1609, Mammoth Lakes, CA 93546.
Compiled Draft EIR and Appendices (Please be patient when downloading - large file)
Final EIR/Response to Comments
The Draft EIR was circulated for a 45-day public review period that ran from December 29, 2016 through February 13, 2017 in compliance with Section 15105(a) of the State CEQA Guidelines. In compliance with State CEQA Guidelines, Section 15087, the Notice of Availability (NOA) was posted in the office of the Mono County Clerk on December 29, 2016 and published in The Sheet on December 31, 2016. Copies of the Draft EIR were placed at the Town Community & Economic Development Department and the Mono County Library – Mammoth Lakes Branch. The Draft EIR was also available for review on the Town’s website. In addition to the opportunity to provide written comments, the Town conducted a public meeting during the regularly scheduled Planning and Economic Development Commission meeting on February 8, 2017 to receive oral and written comments from agencies, organizations, and interested parties regarding the Draft EIR.
The Town received 46 written comment letters on the Draft EIR, including an acknowledgement from the State Clearinghouse that the Town has complied with CEQA environmental review requirements.
Responses to the comments on the Draft EIR are included in the Response to Comments, which is included as the Final Environmental Impact Report. In its entirety, the Final EIR is composed of the following items:
- Draft EIR,
- Comments received on the Draft EIR,
- Written responses to comments,
- Mitigation Monitoring and Reporting Program, and
- Revisions to the Draft EIR.
Final EIR/Reponse to Comments (posted April 24, 2017)
Planning & Economic Development Commission and Town Council Consideration
The Planning and Economic Development Commission (PEDC) will consider making a recommendation regarding certification of the EIR for the Mammoth Creek Park West New Community Multi-Use Facilities project. Certification of the EIR does not equate to approval of the project. Approval is considered by the Town Council when they authorize funding to move forward with the project.
- Feb. 1999 - DRAFT Mammoth Creek Park Facilities Project Environmental Impact Report (not certified)
- Jan. 6, 2016 - Town Council authorizes the consulting agreement with Michael Baker International for preparation of the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) review for the Community Multi-Use Facilities at Mammoth Creek Park West.
- Tips for Reading an Environmental Impact Report by Laurence Wiener, Western City Magazine, March 2008